The position of Artistic Director is chosen by the President based on the following criteria:
- Must be an ‘A’ Member in good standing
- Both nationally and internationally recognized by his/her peers
- Experienced leading photoshoots
- Currently have an Education Team and Program at his/her salon
- Have stage experience
- Must practice a business model that represents ICA
The Artistic Director will be responsible to produce the Press Luncheon during the Fall Atelier for Intercoiffure’s photo collections. These photo collections can be used the media in trade and consumer magazines as well as social media awareness for Intercoiffure.
This year’s Artistic Director is Van Council of Van Michael Salons.
About Van Council.
For Van Council, owner of the Van Michael Concept Salons in Atlanta, it was seeing the 1975 big screen smash Shampoo that had the Cartersville, Georgia native off and packing to cosmetology school. Something in the way that Warren Beatty wielded the scissors on those 70’s coifs was inspirational. And he hasn’t looked back since.
In 1984, Van and his brother Michael partnered and together launched the first Van Michael Salon, a full-service Aveda Concept Salon in Atlanta, Georgia. Their goal was simple; a high-quality salon that offers the latest cut and color techniques in a creative, non-intimidating environment. To guarantee that they only hired the area’s top stylists Van and company devised their own intensive training program from which every person had to pass before being allowed to flaunt their creative skills. Now, every one of his stylists graduates from the training course with the best becoming members of the Van Michael’s Artistic Team as well as the Aveda Educational Network.
Well, the time was right for a salon like Van Michael (and it wasn’t just because of the big-salary equals big-hair vibe of the 80’s). Before long, Van had won such prestigious awards as “North American Hairstylist of the Year”, “Avant Garde Stylist of the Year”, “Makeover Stylist of the Year”, as well as becoming a member of the Aveda Global Masters Team. This is an elite team of styling professionals considered at the forefront of hair styling, hair color, makeup trends and general esthetics.
Using his business savvy it wasn’t long before Van expanded his empire to include two other salons within the Atlanta area. He also broadened the range of services offered to appeal to everybody and anybody. The first addition was the New Talents Salon, which as the name implies, is a place where clients can come and get the same high quality service but at a lower cost as it’s staffed with recently-graduated Van Michael trainees.
These days the Van Michael Salons are one of the most successful in the country, boasting a celeb client list that’s bigger than many of its LA and NY counterparts. Van himself stays busy with his ever-expanding schedule of private and celebrity clients as well as utilizing his creative and technical expertise as one of the leading spokespeople for Aveda worldwide.
So, if you’re in need of someone who can comment on everything from hair trends to aromatherapy look no further than Van Council. Or, if it’s a trend report you’re after why go to the people who are just following them when you can go to someone who’s actually creating them?
- Best Women’s Haircut, Atlanta Business Chronicle
- Editor’s, Beauty Press
- Top 20 Salon Owner in the Country, Salon Today Magazine, – North
- American Hairdresser of the Year, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Best Salon Atlanta Journal and Constitution
- Readers Choice, Atlanta Business Chronicles
- Four Time Winner of NAHA, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Avant Garde Stylist of the Year, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Makeover Stylist of the Year, two-time winner, North American Hairstyling Awards
- World Masters Award for Lifetime Achievement, Aveda Corporation
- Best Haircut and Overall Look, KMS
- Best Haircolor, Framesi Haircolor
- Best Haircut and Overall Style, Zotos
- Top 75 Educators of the Century, Modern Salon
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Aveda Corporation
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Art and Fashion Group